We're starting a series here on the KCTL blog about professional tennis players, as a way to encourage our youth athletes not only to enjoy playing the game, but also to recognize that the love of the game is shared by many, many people - players and enthusiasts - across the globe.
This week, what better place to start then with the 2012 #1 World Ranked Tennis Players in Men Singles: Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
Djokovic is considered to be one of the greatest tennis players of all time. He has won six Grand Slam singles titles: the 2008, 2011, 2012, and 2013 Australian Open; the 2011 Wimbledon Championships; and the 2011 US Open. He was the year-end World No. 1 for both 2011 and 2012 according to both the International Federation of Tennis (IFT) and the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).
- Surname pronounced DJO-ko-vich.
- Djokovic began playing tennis at the age of four.
- Djokovic was known for his often humorous off-court impersonations of his fellow players, many of whom are his friends.
- Andre Agassi considers that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic "may very well be the greatest three players to ever play tennis."
- Djokovic is an all-court player with emphasis on aggressive baseline play.
For more information, check his Wikipedia page.